SOUTH AFRICAN PRESS ASSOCIATION, Monday, December 3, 2007.
December 03, 2007, 14:30
The death toll in the Eastern Cape's summer
circumcision season has risen to three. Health
Department spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo says an
18-year-old youth died in the early hours of Sunday
morning at an illegal initiation school at Gxulu
village in the Libode area.
He says though the cause is not known, health officials suspect dehydration. Following the death, a 22-year-old unregistered traditional surgeon has been arrested and will be appearing in the Libode Magistrate’s Court later this week.
Two other would-be initiates died last week; one at Mthatha General Hospital and the other certified dead on arrival at the hospital.
Kupelo says community members apprehended six juveniles, one only 14 years old, who were allegedly circumcising other boys in the Pondoland area. The six have been handed over to police.
He says a team from the Eastern Cape House of Traditional Leaders, the provincial health department and the police will be in Pondoland this week to talk to would-be initiates, communities and parents, in a bid to educate them on safe circumcision.
The team is to move to the Port Elizabeth area next week. - Sapa
Back to the News 2007 page.
The Circumcision Information and Resource Pages are a not-for-profit educational resource and library. IntactiWiki hosts this website but is not responsible for the content of this site. CIRP makes documents available without charge, for informational purposes only. The contents of this site are not intended to replace the professional medical or legal advice of a licensed practitioner.
© CIRP.org 1996-2023 | Please visit our sponsor and host: IntactiWiki.